Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Recent gaming group activities

Mu Epsilon Kappa Omicron Pi (MEK-OP, for future reference), the "nerd culture club" here at LeTourneau, plays a variety of different types of games with frequent rotation. Games are usually on Saturday nights (Fridays are reserved for anime, which I know much less about). Usually there is at least one RPG campaign running, and then a side group doing board games. Here's what we've done in the last semester and a half, in (roughly) reverse chronological order:
  • Several playtests of the "Book of War" rules from Daniel "Delta" Collins.
  • The modern hex-and-counter space strategy game, Space Empires: 4X.
  • A number of pocket-sized games from Fantasy Flight, including Red November, Death Angels, and Citadel.
  • War of the Ring
  • A D&D Next playtest RPG campaign lasting about six weeks, set in a fantasy-world version of Rome.
  • A Burning Wheel RPG campaign (which might have stalled out, I'm not sure of its current status).
  • A number of other Euro games like Settlers of Catan and Puerto Rico.
I'm told that last year, there was a full playthrough of the classic first edition AD&D module Tomb of Horrors (yielding 30+ player kills!), which I'm sorry I missed.

I have ambitions, at some point in the future, to play a longer strategy game that can be left up over multiple weeks. I have Magic Realm as a first candidate, if I can find someone willing to wade through the rules with me.

I'd love to invest in a full World in Flames set, for some historical wargame action - something that's hard to find these days unless you take initiative to make it happen! But the entry cost is high enough that I keep delaying in hopes of finding some university club-funding support for the start-up expenses.

No comments:

Post a Comment